There are times, as most writers and artists of other stripes will no doubt agree, that you find yourself in a creative funk and struggling to find the time to actually work on anything creative. But a further complication is that, when you finally have the time spare, it can feel as though you are forcing the creative act and trying to get something down in whatever form simply for the sake of it and not because the true urge has taken hold.
I'm glad to be able to say that I seem to have emerged from both stages of this problem, and that my issue now is having too many ideas to be able to work on them all at once. I keep seeing images around here that just make me want to drop whatever it happens to be that I'm working on and start an entirely new piece right there and then. I am trying to resist this urge for the most part, but there are a couple of fragments kicking around that may soon have company.
If you're at all interested in what I'm brewing up at the moment, I decided that I might take an unprecedented step, for me at least, and post a rough list of the stuff that I'm either working on currently, have completed to a certain stage or am thinking of getting started on. You can regard this list in whatever way suits you best, either as a guide as to what to expect in the coming weeks (or, let's be more honest, months), titbits to get you interested and let me know what you're interested in or not, and so on.
So here goes, in no particular order or ranking:
- A continuation of Danny62845's tale of a scientist turned into a mermaid as a result of a botched classroom experiment, her subsequent kidnapping and rescue.
- A new addition to the "Cerulean Blues" series, involving a nefarious mobile-phone app that has a nasty habit of leaving its victims as the residents of balls.
- The diary of a voluntary applicant to become a human/motorbike cyborg.
- A magician in search of a woman who wouldn't turn her nose up at the prospect of becoming a miniature mermaid on a semi-permanent basis.
- A reality TV show in which a body-modification clinic bears more resemblance to a custom mechanic's shop.
- A research assistant who accidentally volunteers to bridge the gap between the human and the Orka.
- A spoilt pop-star who receives some transporter-based surgery for which she did not ask.
- The consequences of a woman, widowed by war, and invoking an ancient law that allows her to give up her humanity for something else.
- The story of how a certain red-headed and water-obsessed girl ended up as a mermaid in a pocket-ball.
Hope there's something for most of you in there.
Let me know what you think.